Drawer Trigger


Your Questions, Answered.

What are the required documents needed to begin receiving VA education funds?

The School Certifying Official (SCO) will require a copy of your DD-214 (Discharge papers), Certificate of Eligibility, and VA form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training)if you are transferring your benefits from another institution. Once the SCO receives these documents and you have been accepted to Vanguard University, the SCO will require you to complete internal paperwork. DOWNLOAD THE REQUIRED FORMS

Does Vanguard participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes, Vanguard University participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Under this agreement the VA will match Vanguard University’s contribution. For those who are eligible Vanguard University will contribute 50% of your tuition and mandatory fees that exceed benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Students who receive Yellow Ribbon funds are disqualified from utilizing institutional aid.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a GI Education Enhancement Program that provides an agreement between Vanguard University and the Veterans Administration (VA) to award scholarships to qualified students to fund tuition and mandatory fees that exceed benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33). In order to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon program you must be 100% eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and submit a Yellow Ribbon Application to Vanguard’s Veterans Center. Vanguard has made it available to an unlimited amount of student veterans (students seeking graduate study are disqualified from the Yellow Ribbon Program).

How do I get my GI Bill benefits?

Getting your GI Bill® benefits is a 6 step process. Below are the 6 steps, listed in order:

1. Apply for the GI Bill® of your choice online via VONAPP. The VA’s Veterans Online Applications website designed so individuals can apply for benefits through the internet. If you do not have access to the internet please mail your benefits application VA form 22-1990 to the following address: Department of Veterans Affairs, VA Regional Office, PO Box 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888

2. After you have applied for the GI Bill® you will be mailed a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter from the VA, describing your eligibility and chapter benefit. The VA mails two copies of the COE to you, one for the school certifying official (SCO) and one for your personal records. Bring the copy for the SCO to the Veterans Center.

3. Once you are admitted to Vanguard University and register for your classes the SCO will complete the Enrollment Certification process. The SCO will ask you to complete Vanguard University’s enrollment status form in which you will list all your classes for the upcoming semester. This form is available in the Veterans Center or by emailing VA School Certifying Official.

4. The SCO submits VA Form 22-1999 – Enrollment Certification, to the VA, based on the classes you listed on the Enrollment Status Request form.

5. VA receives form 22-1999 and begins processing. Turnaround time is anywhere between 2-8 weeks, but the VA aims for 24 days after reception.

6. If you receive Chapter 33 – Post 9/11, your tuition and fees will be sent directly to Vanguard University via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). If you qualify for the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) it will be mailed directly to you or via direct deposit if you opted for it on your GI Bill® application.

If you receive Chapter 30 – Montgomery Bill, CH 1606, or Chapter 1607, you will begin receiving your education stipend approximately 30 days after the first class session.

I’m not sure which chapter of the GI Bill to choose. What should I do?

It is important to review the eligibility requirements for each GI Bill.

Most recently separated veterans are currently opting for Ch. 33 benefits, also known as the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Generally, students eligible for chapter 33 must have served on active duty after 9/10/01 for: a minimum of 90 aggregate days (excluding entry level and skill training); At least 30 continuous days if discharged for a service-connected disability.


How much will the VA pay towards my tuition?

This depends on the education chapter you are eligible for and your student status. To understand the differences between each education chapter visit:


I have been approved for the Post 9-11 GI Bill (Chapter 33). How much will the VA pay towards my tuition?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® reimburses your tuition & fees to your school and makes housing and other payments directly to you. Your school will receive a percentage, as determined by your length of active duty service. For private and foreign IHLs tuition & fee reimbursement is capped at $22,805.34 per academic year (August 1, 2017 - July 31, 2018).

You may also be directly paid:

  • A monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing (BAH) amount payable to an E-5 with dependents, in same zip code as your school. This allowance is paid proportionately based on your enrollment.
  • A yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1000 paid proportionately based on enrollment



I’m close to exhausting my Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill Benefits. Is there any other GI Bill® I can utilize?

Yes, if you have served after 09/11/01 you may qualify for the Post 9-11 GI Bill (Chapter 33). Individuals eligible under Chapter 30 who elect to receive benefits under chapter 33 are only entitled to the number of months they had remaining under chapter 30 at the time of their election (including any revoked months of transferred entitlement) up to a maximum of 36 months. If you have completely exhausted your Chapter 30 benefits before electing chapter 33, then that person is entitled to up to 12 months of chapter 33 under the 48 month rule.

Please note: to begin using Chapter 33 benefits you must fully exhaust your Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® Benefits. Only AFTER you have fully exhausted all other education benefits can you apply for Chapter 33. You may also choose to relinquish your Chapter 30 benefits and transfer to the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. To do so, reapply for benefits using the VONAPP.

How can I contact the VA’s educational benefits department?

The VA’s education benefits hotline is 1.888.442.4551. Their hours are Monday-Friday, 7am-3:30pm C.T. and can best be reached on Friday mornings.

Where is the Veterans Center Located?

Vanguard University’s Veterans Center is located on the 2nd floor of the Scott Building.

How can I speak to Vanguard University’s Certifying Official?

You can email VeteransCertifyingOfficial@vanguard.edu or call 714.668.5204 to speak with the Certifying Official.