Imagine: The Campaign for Vanguard University
- A Center for Community and Calling
- Nearly 100 Years of Equipping Students + Serving God
- Study, Relax, and Belong
The Vanguard student center will be a forum for creating and sharing God stories, encouraging one another, exploring their career and academic goals and expanding their faith. Also an extension of the classroom, the new student center will support a relational and unfettered approach to the learning environment of Vanguard. Alumni visiting campus will be welcomed home at the student center, where they can engage with current students, reconnect with an influential professor or reunite with a former classmate.
Whether preparing a presentation with a classmate, researching a term paper while dining al fresco, meeting for coffee with a spiritual leader, or shooting hoops and discussing their dreams with a professor, the student center’s intentionally communal design offers opportunities for students to engage in community and find their true calling.
The student center will exist as a place where all students – undergraduate and graduate, residential and commuter – will experience a sense of belonging.
In 1920, Hulda and Harold Needham were called to start a school to educate Spirit-empowered, Christ-centered leaders. Then a small Bible college devoted to sending missionaries out to serve throughout the world, Vanguard is now the first four-year university in Orange County, educating undergraduate and graduate students. Though its name and location have changed over its nearly century-long existence, Vanguard remains committed to equipping and preparing Christ-centered, Spirit-empowered young men and women to find their true calling, serve God and to change the world.
Now under construction and opening during the 19/20 academic year, the Vanguard student center is the first project in a proposed 30-year campus master plan and will be a place where generations of Vanguard students will build community and find their true calling.
Soon to be the heart of campus and a space for holistic academic and spiritual development, the Vanguard student center will feature:
- A central location on campus to serve as an inviting “living room” experience;
- a 7,500 square-foot food service area with all-day and late-night options and a common dining room to break bread together;
- a 3,000 square-foot fitness center that will provide health and wellness opportunities to all students;
- an 8,000 square-foot student recreational center that converts to meeting and event space, which can seat nearly 900 for a lecture or 400 for a banquet;
- more than enough power outlets and charging stations;
- plenty of spacious areas for studying, relaxing and building community;
- a special dining room for guests and supporters;
- an open-air design; and
- an outdoor patio on two floors.