Vanguard University launched its first honors program in fall 2019. Twenty incoming freshmen were accepted into the inaugural class during our 100-year anniversary 2019-2020 academic year and will pave the way for future Scholars Program students. Each year, twenty new incoming freshmen with exceptional academic profiles will be selected to study with top scholar and practitioner faculty during their four years at Vanguard University. This opportunity will provide Scholars Program students with a transformational experience with expanded academic, leadership and service opportunities that will develop powerful world-changers. The Scholars Program focuses on Scholarship, Leadership and Service.
- All prospective Vanguard University freshmen with exceptional academic profiles are invited to apply to the Scholars Program
- Minimum 3.7 unweighted academic core GPA (Cal Grant GPA) and top 10% class rank*
*Students who attend a high school that does not rank are still eligible to apply.
Fall 2020 enrolling Scholars Program students had a 3.9 average unweighted academic core GPA, top 10% class rank and 1260 SAT/27 ACT. For fall 2021, test score submission is optional. SAT or ACT is required for consideration for the Presidential Centennial ($25,000 annually) academic scholarship and recruited athletes.
Application Items and Deadline:
- Standard application for admission with all supporting documents due by the December 1 Early Action Deadline.
- Scholars Program supplemental items due by December 1 to Undergraduate Admissions at email@example.com.
- Scholars Program essay
- Letter of recommendation – must be on school letterhead and written by an academic course instructor (e.g. Math, Science, English, etc.)
- If invited to interview, attendance is required and anticipated to be held Thursday, February 25, 2021
- Attend Presidential Scholar Reception Wednesday, February 24, 2021 – the evening before interview. Overnight in residence hall. And, up to $250 airfare reimbursement will be provided to attendees who submit the $300 Enrollment Deposit by the National Candidates Reply Date of May 1.
sCHOLARS Program Essay Prompt:
Describe how one or more of your academic, community and/or church experiences demonstrate leadership and service in a diverse world. And, explain why you should be one of 20 students selected for the Scholars Program and how you will make an impactful contribution.
Limit your typed response to 500 words. Essay will be evaluated on structure and content and be titled Scholars Program Essay.
- All students selected to participate in the Scholars Program will receive an annual $2,000 Honors Program Scholarship added to their financial aid award in addition to their academic scholarship. Scholarship is renewable with continued participation in the Scholars Program. Scholars Program participation is limited to 4 years or 8 semesters.
SCHOLARS program curriculum:
Freshman Year – Challenging and Interactive
- Freshman required Cornerstone CORE 100C (1 unit) taught by President Michael Beals with philosophy and ethics emphasis
- Leadership course PLST 460 (1 unit)
- Literary Perspectives ENGL 230C and World Civilization HIST 203C (one each semester fall/spring)
Sophomore-Senior Year – Additional Scholars Courses and Experiences
- Senior Capstone taught by Vice President for Academic Affairs/Provost
- Experiential education component (12-16 units)
- Research project
- Introduction to Theology THEO 103C and Christian Heritage CHIS 400C in special section