Vanguard University launched its first honors program in fall 2019. Twenty incoming freshmen were accepted into the inaugural class during our 100-year anniversary 2019-2020 academic year and will pave the way for future Scholars Program students. Each year, twenty new incoming freshmen with exceptional academic profiles will be selected to study with top scholar and practitioner faculty during their four years at Vanguard University. This opportunity will provide Scholars Program students with a transformational experience with expanded academic, leadership and service opportunities that will develop powerful world-changers. The Scholars Program focuses on Scholarship, Leadership and Service.
- All prospective Vanguard University freshmen with exceptional academic profiles are invited to apply to the Scholars Program
- Minimum 3.7 unweighted academic core GPA (Cal Grant GPA) and top 10% class rank*
*Students who attend a high school that does not rank are still eligible to apply.
Fall 2022 enrolling Scholars Program students had a 3.9 average unweighted academic core GPA.
Application Items and Deadline:
- Standard application for admission with all supporting documents due by the January 15 Priority Application Deadline.
- Scholars Program supplemental items due by January 15 to Undergraduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scholars Program essay
- Letter of recommendation – must be on school letterhead and written by an academic course instructor (e.g. Math, Science, English, etc.)
- Applicants selected to interview must participate in an interview event to be held in March 2023.
sCHOLARS Program Essay Prompt:
Describe how one or more of your academic, community and/or church experiences demonstrate leadership and service in a diverse world. And, explain why you should be one of 20 students selected for the Scholars Program and how you will make an impactful contribution.
Limit your typed response to 500 words. Essay will be evaluated on structure and content and be titled Scholars Program Essay.
- All students selected to participate in the Scholars Program will receive an annual $2,000 Honors Program Scholarship added to their financial aid award in addition to their academic scholarship. Scholarship is renewable with continued participation in the Scholars Program and meeting minimum term and cumulative GPA requirements. Scholars Program participation is limited to 4 years or 8 semesters.
SCHOLARS program curriculum:
Required Courses, Scholars sections that meet CORE requirements:
- Freshman required Cornerstone CORE 100H (1 unit) with guest lectures on leadership, philosophy, and ethics by President Michael Beals
- Introduction to Theology (3 units)
- Christian Worldview (3 units)
- Christian Heritage (3 units)
- Experiential education component, fulfilled by study abroad or outreach programs
- Research project
- Scholars Seminar, capstone taught with guest lectures by Vice President for Academic Affairs/Provost
- Completion of Truth-Virtue-Service merit requirements