As followers of Christ, we are called to preach the good news of the Kingdom of God which does not begin with the ends of the earth but, rather, is rooted in Jerusalem. Through Local Outreach, we strive to grow into a lifestyle of intentional service at home, in our own Jerusalem,Costa Mesa and the surrounding areas in Orange County. While there are many segments of outreach that are open to service, the below are our 5 key areas of involvement that we focus on.
Key Areas of Involvement:
- Education: We value education and all that it can unlock for ourselves and our world. Within this effort, we engage with local schools and non-profit organizations in tutoring, mentoring, translating for parent-teacher conferences, encouragement to teachers, school beautification projects and much more.
- Compassion: There are many different challenges that everyone faces and at the same time, tangible ways of meeting needs. This area would include service at the food bank to assist in the provision of meals for the over 400,000 people in Orange County that don’t know where their next meal will come from to volunteering at a local thrift store that helps men and women coming out of homelessness or addiction find affordable, appropriate work attire so they can gain employment.
- Homelessness: Working with local churches and our city to meet the needs of our neighbors currently experiencing homelessness is a vital effort. Opportunities include serving atthe check-in center (storage facility), Saturday mornings (food, showers and laundry provided), and administrative help for this initiative.
- Senior Citizen Ministry: Very close to Vanguard we have many elderly neighbors that would love a visit. Loving to play Bingo, balloon volleyball (in chairs), card games or simply talking are easy ways for you to connect and build relationship. Vanguard also throws a “Senior Senior Prom” in the Spring semester that we need help with.
- Foster & Adoption Care Support: There are many local families that have chosen to open their homes and foster or adopt a child and organizations that support children in the foster care system. Working alongside organizations that provide continual support kids and families, we have a great opportunity to bless through free babysitting, doing yard or house work, giving suitcases to kids in the system and many more simple acts.
All first-time Freshman are required to participate in community service their first semester at Vanguard. This is embedded into Cornerstone, the university introduction course and requires a minimum of 15 hours served in a local capacity.