The BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) Pre-Licensure program is for students who need to complete prerequisite courses or may be ready to apply to the Nursing major but are not licensed nurses. Following completion of the bachelor's program, these students are eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam to become licensed nurses.
Students will be equipped to be compassionate health care provides and leaders in the Nursing profession. On campus, students will receive simulated training in two state-of-the-art Nursing Simulation Labs opened in fall 2015.
Students take part in clinical training at leading partner health care facilities including St. Jude Medical Center, Orange County Global Medical Center, St. Joseph Hospital, Children's Hospital of Orange County and Orange Coast Medical Center and participate in a variety of community-based experiences.
- Pre-Nursing for first-time freshmen and transfer students who need to complete prerequisite courses.
- Nursing for transfer students (current Vanguard undergraduates or transfers from other institutions) who have completed prerequisites and are ready to apply into the Nursing major.
PRE-LICENSURE PROGRAM CURRICULUM
View program requirements in the Academic Catalog.
1. To provide quality-nursing programs which equip students for a spirit-empowered life of Christ-centered leadership and service.
2. To prepare graduates who can provide age appropriate, culturally sensitive, and competent care within a framework of scientific and professional accountability and function independently in a variety of healthcare settings.
3. To prepare graduates with the necessary foundation for further education and specialization within their chosen career path and who demonstrate commitment to lifelong learning and personal, spiritual and professional growth.
4. To establish innovative educational and community partnerships that better prepare graduates to meet the complex needs of the population they serve.
5. To be recognized as a center of Christian nursing education that demonstrates spiritual vitality and academic excellence.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
1. Use a systematic approach in assessing, planning, testing, and evaluating innovative and evidence-based solutions to patient care problems across a variety of healthcare settings.
2. Develop and articulate an understanding of a Biblical worldview in integrating values of truth, virtue, and service in personal and professional life and in providing Christ-centered leadership and service.
3. Demonstrate behaviors that integrate altruism, autonomy, integrity, social justice, and respect for diversity and human dignity across the lifespan.
4. Demonstrate responsibility and accountability for self and nursing practice, engagement in life-long learning, demonstrating a holistic view of health and living and ongoing professional growth.
5. Use communication theories and techniques to promote communication and collaborative relationships with intra-professional healthcare team members, individuals, families, groups, and communities.
6. Use a problem-solving approach in evaluating patient health status and in advocating for the patient and family, anticipating and reducing risk, and improving health outcomes.
7. Apply cultural competence theory in the care of diverse individuals, families, groups, communities, and populations across the lifespan and across the continuum of healthcare environments.
8. Demonstrate technology skills in locating, retrieving, applying, and evaluating the integrity of information while using information responsibly and ethically.
9. Leadership and Patient Safety: Apply leadership concepts, skills, decision making, and problem solving in the provision and oversight of nursing practice, and in advocating for equitable health care.
COST PER UNIT
LENGTH OF PROGRAM
Traditional Student: 4 years (Including Freshman and Sophomore years of Pre-Nursing study plan and 2 years of Junior and Senior Pre-Licensure study plan)
Transfer Student: 2 years (Junior and Senior Pre-Licensure study plan)
*Tuition is based on the 2020/2021 academic year and is subject to change.