Teachers inspire and shape the future, and the Liberal Studies program at Vanguard will equip you to make an impact in this essential profession.
Teaching is a career that creates generational influence--if you have an interest in changing communities, changing families and changing lives for the better, there's no more fulfilling profession. Vanguard offers students a variety of pathways into teaching and the broader field of education.
A traditional degree in Liberal Studies will prepare you to immediately work in a variety of education fields, from early childhood and the K-12 school setting to after-school programs, children’s ministry and more, while also preparing you to earn a teaching credential after graduation. The 4-Year Integrated Teacher Education (ITEP) programs combine a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or a Bachelor of Science (BS) with a teaching credential, preparing you to teach in elementary (multiple subject credential) or middle and high schools (single subject credential) in California.
Our low student to faculty ratio and individualized advising from our student support team means that you’ll receive a highly personalized education to give you the full support and attention needed to successfully complete your degree on time.
Our close connections with local school districts ensure you receive practical, hands-on experience and excellent opportunities for job placement upon graduation.
Students in the Liberal Studies Department can choose from the following options:
Traditional Degree Programs
Integrated Teacher Education Programs
- BA in Liberal Studies (ITEP) with Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- BA in Liberal Studies (ITEP) with Education Specialist (Special Education) Credential
The department also offers a minor in Elementary Education.
Other Degree Offerings
In collaboration with the School of Education, the College of Arts & Sciences offers a number of single subject ITEP programs:
- BA in English (ITEP) with Single Subject Teaching Credential
- BA in History/Political Science (ITEP) with Single Subject (Social Studies) Teaching Credential
- BS in Biology (ITEP) with Single Subject Teaching Credential
- BS in Chemistry (ITEP) with Single Subject Teaching Credential
- BS in Mathematics (ITEP) with Single Subject Teaching Credential
- BM in Music with a Pre-Teacher Certification (Music Education)
Engage in hands-on K-12 classroom experience working with children from culturally diverse communities.
Get connected with our student organizations: Pi Lambda Theta Honors Society and Teachers of Tomorrow Club.
Accelerate your ability to earn your Bachelor’s and Teaching Credential compared to the traditional five years with the four year ITEP program.
In-class experience features group presentations and teaching demonstrations preparing you to become a teacher.
Faculty provide comprehensive guidance on professional standards for teachers including clinical placement and licensure requirements.
Get connected with many financial grants and scholarships to support your education.
What Students Are Saying
Make Your Impact
Students majoring in Liberal Studies not only go on to become teachers, but also find careers in a variety of education-related fields.
Recent alumni work for:
- Mariners Christian School
- Santa Ana Unified School District
- Newport-Mesa Unified School District
- Christ Lutheran Church & School
- Calvary Chapel Eagles
- Orange County Department of Education
- Irvine Unified Schools
- Anaheim Unified Schools
- Saddleback Unified Schools
- Los Angeles Unified Schools
Recent alumni work as:
- K-12 Teacher
- Children’s Ministry
- Preschool Teacher
- School Counselor
- College Advisor
- School Administrator
- Education Analyst
- Life Specialist
- Curriculum Developer
Recent alumni study at:
- University of Southern California
- California State University Fullerton
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of Chicago
- Northwestern University
- University of Washington
- Hawaii University
- Arizona State University
- Pepperdine University
- San Jose State University