WATCH NOW >>
Vanguard University promises to equip you to live the story God has for you.
No matter your major or area of study, at Vanguard you’ll get the understanding you need in an environment designed to help you excel. Our commitment to go beyond academics leads to academic transformation, where you’ll cultivate new abilities to think critically, communicate clearly, and interact intelligently—taking you places you never thought possible.
- 72% of our professors hold doctorates, educating you in their field of expertise
- Our faculty to student ratio is 17:1, giving you more attention from professors
- We offer many study abroad programs, enriching your education through once-in-a-lifetime experiences
- Chapel is held 6-8 times a week, allowing students to mature in their faith as they listen to a broad range of speakers from VU professors, to missionaries, to Christians impacting our culture.
Many people talk about the integration of faith and life. At Vanguard, we believe they were never separate to begin with. Our understanding of the world—in science, business, education, the arts, and beyond—informs and deepens our faith, bringing color and life in surprising ways. As we go beyond integration, we discover a reality based instead on incarnation, where faith comes to life in every molecule, every equation, every performance…in every moment.
What is it that turns a group of people from different backgrounds that come from different places into a real community? At Vanguard, we call it our relational culture. Built into the fabric of our interactions is a culture that causes us to go beyond the normal definition of community, reaching out and connecting with each other. We are driven to serve one another, our city, and our world in practical ways through missions projects both here in Orange County and around the world.
It begins with our friendly and helpful admissions staff. They’ll show you around campus and answer your questions. In no time you’ll know you’ve found a home.
We know that college is more than what happens inside the classroom. The friendships you make at VU will last you a lifetime and help get you through college. The mentorship of professors who care about you as a whole person will shape you academically, spiritually, and personally. From our Residence Life staff, to the career center, to the campus pastor, VU students are surrounded by a network of caring individuals. It’s what makes VU a great place to call home!
Beyond the Expected
There’s more to life than what we see. At Vanguard, you’ll join a Christ-centered community pursuing a Spirit-empowered life. God is not distant or disconnected, His Spirit is in us, guiding, comforting, and equipping us for the next chapter of our story. A life in God’s Spirit will always move us beyond the expected and open our eyes to His surprising influence in our world…right here, right now.
All of these areas work together, producing alumni that are beyond ready to live a story that matters. Hear what our students, alumni, and others are saying.
Where some of our alumni have gone:
- Eduardo Lee: co-founder and co-owner of Wahoo’s Fish Taco
- Daniel Amen: M.D., NY Times best-selling author and pioneer in psychiatry and brain imaging procedures
- Larry Mantle: host of AirTalk on National Public Radio station KPCC
- Jesse Miranda: President of Alianza de Ministerios Evangelicos Nacionales
- Ralph Carmichael: Christian music pioneer, composer, and conductor of Young Messiah tour
- Mark Johnson: production manager for Juxt Interactive
- Larry Kraiss: surgeon and associate professor of surgery at the University of Utah Medical Center
- Dennis Lindsay: president of Christ for the Nations Institute
- Founders of 31 Bits: Community based organization helping women working with displaced women who use their talents to create recycled paper jewelry.
- Founders of Krochet Kids: Headwear and fashion accessories made by 160 women in Northern Uganda & Peru
Beyond the Classroom
We believe learning happens best in the context of relationship. Our faculty spend countless hours—both inside and outside the classroom—to serve as professor-mentors, not just teachers. Through close, coaching relationships, you’ll go beyond the classroom, getting not only the knowledge you need but also the wisdom to apply what you’re learning in practical ways.
Our students are:
- 62% female, 38% male
- 84% from California; 14% from all other states; 2% international students from 13 different countries
- From over 45 different denominations
- Ranked one of the Top 10 Most Diverse Comprehensive Colleges in the West by U.S. News and World Report.
Location! Location! Location!
Located in the Southern California coastal city of Costa Mesa, Vanguard is able to provide a great education in a great environment. Not only does our setting provide beautiful weather and scenery, Orange County is a premier environment for business and ministry. Our graduates have a great reputation and job record in our community. Off work, they find themselves with broad opportunities for community, spirituality, enrichment and entertainment. Students (especially students of church leadership) enjoy an excellent range of churches from the mega-church (Saddleback Church, Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, Rock Harbor, EV Free Fullerton, Anaheim Vineyard, Mariners, Templo Calvario, and many more) to very traditional fellowships.
- An average of 329 days a year of sunshine in Southern California
- 233 palm trees on campus
- Over 150 languages spoken throughout the region
- Less than 3 miles to the beach
- Cultural attractions such as museums and performing arts centers are located close to the University