Vanguard University welcomes students transferring from community colleges or other accredited institutions. Approximately one-third of all new VU students each year transfer in from other colleges.

Transfer Credit Guidelines

  1. VU will accept up to 70 units of transfer work from community colleges. All community college coursework is considered lower division.
  2. Letter grades of “D” or below received at another college will not receive credit at VU. A maximum of three general education requirements, however, can be considered met through transfer work in which a grade of “D” was received. Major requirements cannot be met by a grade of “D”. In these instances of a “D” meeting a requirement, the units would not transfer into VU.
  3. Grade point averages do not transfer into VU.
  4. One half of the total units within a major must be completed at VU.
  5. A minimum of 24 of the last 30 units must be earned at VU.
  6. Two lower division transfer courses may be used to meet upper division requirements within a major. These units do not count, however, toward the 40 upper division units required for graduation.
  7. A total of 24 units can be given for non-VU testing and correspondence courses. CLEP credit is given to coursework which meets the minimum recommended score by CLEP. Credit is given for Advanced Placement (AP) for scores of 3 or better.
  8. The English requirement of ENGL 220C cannot be met by testing.

Articulation Agreements with California Community Colleges

Students at California community colleges who are considering transferring to Vanguard University should follow the CSU pattern of study with the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) at the community college of attendance with the following stipulations:

  1. Only students who are not currently enrolled, and who have not been previously enrolled at Vanguard University (or SCC) may use the IGETC program to meet the general education requirements at Vanguard.
  2. Areas 1 through 5 (CSU pattern) must be followed with the addition of the CSU Graduation Requirement in U.S. History, Constitution, and American Ideals.
  3. Beyond the courses included in the IGETC pattern, students who transfer to VU will be required to take additional General Education coursework: 13 units of Religion; 3 units of Philosophy (if not taken as part of IGETC); an English Proficiency Exam taken before the end of the first semester of the student’s Junior year at Vanguard; and 2 units of Physical Education activity courses. The two units of Physical Education activity courses, however, can be taken at the community college as long as the total transfer credit does not exceed seventy units.
  4. Students at any California community college do have the option of transferring to Vanguard University before completion of the entire IGETC program. If a student transfers before completing the IGETC, all coursework taken at the community college to meet IGETC guidelines will transfer to Vanguard and meet general education requirements.
  5. Partial or full completion of the IGETC does not guarantee admission to Vanguard University. Students may be approved for admission after an application for admission has been filed with the Office of Admissions at Vanguard.

Transfers From non-Regionally Accredited Colleges

Coursework from Association of Biblical Higher Education (ABHE) and Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACCS) member institutions.

  • Credits will be evaluated and accepted on a case-by-case basis. The maximum number of units accepted from these institutions is 60 semester units .

Youth With A Mission (YWAM) Discipleship Training School.

  • DTS 701/702 counts for 9 lower division units (3 of which go to Religion Core Curriculum).
  • DTS 701/703 counts only for 6 units total.
  • Credit for any additional coursework completed through DTS must be approved by the Religion Department.

Students transferring from institutions which are not regionally accredited (e.g., WASC), should be aware of VU’s unique transfer guidelines for these institutions. These guidelines are in addition to normal transfer policies listed above.

Coursework from all other non-regionally accredited Colleges/schools.

  • Credits will be evaluated and accepted on a case-by-case basis. The maximum number or units accepted from these institutions is 30 semester units.
  • These units will be applied as one of the following:
    • Lower division Religion major requirements (12 units maximum)
    • Religion Core Curriculum Requirement (12 units maximum)
    • Elective Credit (12 units maximum)
    • A maximum of 18 units may meet Core Curriculum Requirement with approval of the appropriate division or department chairperson.
  • If you are you considering attending Graduate School after completion of a Bachelor’s Degree, please be aware that:
    • Many graduate programs will not recognize credit taken at non-regionally accredited institutions, even if it is granted partial credit towards your Bachelor’s degree.
    • Many graduate programs may deny admissions until that work is taken over again at a regionally accredited institution.