- Hands Across the Border (HATB): Each year, a group of students travels to Mexico, spending their Spring break in various acts of ministry. This year, we will be returning to Ensenada, Mexico. We have various student teams that focus on one area all week: VBS, women’s shelter, adult rehab facility, orphanage and a construction team.
- San Francisco Outreach (SFO): Another annual trip, is SFO where students spend their break focused on inner city ministry in the heart of San Francisco. Focusing on homelessness, human trafficking and addiction, this team partners with a variety of ministries throughout the week.
We have had the blessing of being able to send thousands of students, faculty, staff and alumni around the world in the last several decades. This summer, we will be sending students, faculty and staff to:
- Ireland: This trip will continue to focus on the existing relationship VU has in Ireland, focusing in the Belfast area. Our team has a unique opportunity to partner with a local church this year and we look forward to what will come of it.
- Malawi: Partnering with an organization that is significantly changing child mortality rates in Malawi, this trip is a more medical-focused trip this year. This team will travel with the local staff to villages in which children are weighed, measured and prescribed a fortified peanut butter, which is saving lives.
- Moore, Oklahoma: Partnering with local ministries, this team will be a rebuilding trip for the families of Moore who were devastated by the tornado in May of 2013.
- Tanzania: Working with VU alums, this team will be sent to Moshi, Tanzania where they will assist the current ministry taking place with youth and adults. Opportunities will include helping the local school, orphanage and going to various villages.
Tentative Dates: May 22-June 7, Approximate Cost: $3,000
S.O.S. (Summer of Service)
One of the special things about Vanguard is the number of Missionary Kids (MKs) that come here for their formal education. While this can be exciting for our campus, we realize the unique challenges associated with that. Our Missionary-In-Residence, Steve Slater, has been a missionary for 10 years in Fiji and has a heart for making MKs feel at home while here at VU. If you are an MK, we would love to connect you to the ongoing activities and events that we have scheduled this year just for you.