YOU MUST BE 18 YEARS OF AGE, OR OLDER, to complete this waiver online. If under 18, you must print waiver, review and sign with parent or legal guardian, then bring completed waiver to check-in.
Please read carefully this entire waiver before signing. This document WAIVES and RELEASES legal rights, including the right to sue for damages for negligence. Make a copy for your files.
This waiver applies to Vanguard University approved or administered programs and activities, which may or may not involve travel.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK, WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
I understand that, as a condition of my participating in any activities (“Activity”) approved or administered by Vanguard University (“Vanguard”), Vanguard requires that I provide my informed written consent to assume certain risks and to waive liability claims against Vanguard and associated parties.
1. Risks of Travel: I understand that participation in activities requiring travel are entirely voluntary, that the activities may involve local and/or international travel, and that such travel involves certain risks. These include, but are not limited to, risks involved in traveling to and within, and returning from, one or more foreign countries; foreign political, legal, social, and economic conditions; exposure to disease, sickness and illness; limited availability of appropriate medical care; different standards of design, safety, and maintenance of buildings, public places, and conveyances; civil unrest, hostilities, criminal attack, kidnapping, and politically motivated terrorism; natural disasters and local weather conditions. I understand that it is required that I will familiarize myself with information about the country and/or region I am going to, including the most current travel alerts and warnings and consular information sheets issued by the U.S. Department of State (http://travel.state.gov) and the most current health warnings issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (http://www.cdc.gov/travel), which may contain information about the inherent dangers and difficulties specific to the country or region of my destination.
2. Activity Withdrawal, Modification, Cancellation: I understand that Vanguard does not administer or control all aspects of planned activities and that host institutions and providers of goods or services in connection with Vanguard University activities are not agents of Vanguard or under its control. I also understand that Vanguard and host institutions reserve the right to make cancellations or changes in cases of emergency, changed conditions, or for other reasons and that Vanguard accepts no responsibility if an activity is cancelled or changed before departure or while the activity is in progress and assumes no responsibility for the financial losses of activity participants as a result of such cancellations or changes. I also understand that if I decide to withdraw from a Vanguard University activity for any reason, before departure or while the activity is in progress, the refund policies of Vanguard and/or host institution will apply and I will be responsible for any and all costs associated with my return home. I further acknowledge that Vanguard shall not be liable arising out of or in connection with travel which precedes or follows actual participation in the activity.
3. Conduct: I understand that Vanguard and/or host institution may discipline me and/or dismiss me from an activity for failure to adhere to applicable rules, standards and instructions or for any behavior incompatible with the interest, harmony, and/or welfare of Vanguard, the Program, the host institution or other Program participants. I understand that, if I am dismissed from an activity, any refund of fees shall be in the sole discretion of Vanguard and/or host institution and I will be responsible for any and all costs associated with my return home.
4. Insurance: I understand that Vanguard requires, and I agree to maintain, appropriate accident, health, medical evacuation and repatriation of remains insurance for the duration of my participation in any activity in which I choose to participate. I also take full responsibility for knowledge of and understanding any limitations in my insurance policy that pertain to travel abroad and agree that I will be financially responsible for all medical expenses I incur. I also understand that Vanguard discourages participants from operating motor vehicles abroad and recommends that any participant planning to operate a motor vehicle obtain liability and collision insurance that will cover him/her in the applicable foreign countries. I further understand that Vanguard recommends that participants insure their property from loss or theft.
5. Medical Considerations: I understand that it is my responsibility to determine in consultation with competent medical authorities whether I should participate in any activity. I further understand that Vanguard makes no representations with respect to accessibility of medical services and facilities abroad and that appropriate treatments available in the U.S. may not be available abroad. I understand that I must, therefore, make provision before departure for continuation of medical treatments (such as prescriptions) or special diets. I also understand that it is my responsibility to inform Vanguard of any special needs or accommodations required due to physical or mental disabilities at least thirty (30) days before leaving on an activity and that accommodations must be approved as reasonable before I may participate in the activity. I also authorize Vanguard to release personal health information contained in its files to a healthcare provider in the event of emergency, illness or injury or as needed to provide reasonable accommodation.
6. Medical Consent: In the event I cannot give my consent, I hereby authorize Vanguard and its designated representatives to consent for me, to the extent it may do so under applicable local law, to medical or surgical treatment deemed necessary or advisable by available medical authorities during the period I am a participant in an activity of my choosing and that any such medical or surgical procedure or treatment shall be at my expense. It is understood that this authorization is given in advance of any specific medical or surgical procedures or treatment being required, but is given to provide authority and power on the part of Vanguard to give specific consent to the medical or surgical procedures or treatment which in the best judgment of available medical authorities is deemed advisable. Any minor participant authorizes Vanguard to contact his or her parents or guardians in connection with his or her general welfare abroad.
7. Consent to Publicity and Release of Information: I consent to the use of my name and photograph for publicity purposes and to the distribution of information about any activity in which I choose to participate.
8. Assumption of Risk, Release & Indemnification: Knowing the risks described above, and in consideration of being permitted to participate in all activities of my choosing, I agree, for myself, and for my heirs, successors, assigns, and personal representatives, to assume all the risks and responsibilities surrounding my participation in any such activity and, to the maximum extent permitted by law, release and indemnify Vanguard, its trustees, officers, employees, agents, independent contractors and all other persons or entities associated with said activities, from and against any present or future claim, loss, or liability (including attorneys’ fees) for injury to person (including injuries resulting in death) or property which I may suffer, or for which I may be liable to any other person during my participation in any activities, including any claim for damages based on the alleged neglect of Vanguard, its trustees, officers, directors, employees, agents and/or independent contractors.
9. Covenant Not To Sue: In consideration of the opportunity to participate in a university activity, I covenant not to sue Vanguard and its trustees, officers, directors, employees, agents and/or independent contractors for any alleged negligence on the part of them, or any of them, arising out of or in connection with my participation in any university activity.
10. Entire Agreement and Severability: I acknowledge and agree that this document represents my complete understanding with Vanguard concerning Vanguard’s responsibility and liability for my participation in university activities during my time as a student at Vanguard University, that no oral representations can or will alter the contents of this document, and that if any portion of this document is deemed unenforceable, all other provisions remain in full force and effect.
11. Legal Disputes: I agree that should there be any dispute with Vanguard relating to or arising out of my participation in an activity that would require adjudication by a court of law, such adjudication will occur in the Superior Court of the State of California for the County of Orange, and be determined by the laws of, the State of California, without regard to conflict of law principles.
12. Acknowledgment and Understanding: I have carefully read this Assumption of Risk, Waiver of Liability and Indemnity Agreement, fully understand its terms, understand that I am giving up substantial rights, understand that it will remain valid throughout the 2014-15 school year in which I am a student of Vanguard University, and acknowledge that I am signing it freely and voluntarily.