Professor of Biblical and Practical Theology
Areas of Specialization: Theology, Spiritual, Moral and Ministry Formation.
Education: B.A., West Coast Christian College; M.Div. and D.Min., Fuller Theological Seminary
Dr. Gary Tyra teaches theology courses in Vanguard University’s traditional (undergrad and grad) programs and its School for Professional Studies—courses which aim to help students experience growth toward spiritual, moral, and ministry maturity. Having spent over three decades providing pastoral leadership for three congregations, he now devotes himself full time to teaching, mentoring future leaders, preaching in various churches, and writing.
Besides several magazine articles, Gary’s published works include:
- Defeating Pharisaism: Recovering Jesus’ Disciple-Making Method (IVP Books, 2009);
- Beyond the Bliss: Discovering Your Uniqueness in Marriage (IVP Books, 2010);
- Christ’s Empowering Presence: The Pursuit of God through the Ages (IVP Books, 2011);
- The Holy Spirit in Mission: Prophetic Speech and Action in Christian Witness (IVP Academic, 2011);
- A Missional Orthodoxy: Prophetic Speech and Action in Christian Witness (IVP Academic, 2013); and
- Pursuing Moral Faithfulness: Ethics and Christian Discipleship (IVP Academic, 2015).
As is evident from the courses he teaches and the kind of books he writes, Dr. Tyra’s abiding passion is to see as many people as possible recognize the vital difference between mere “churchianity” and genuine Christianity, and to be equipped to live their lives as fully devoted followers of Christ in an increasingly post-Christian world.
Residing in Yorba Linda, California, Gary and his wife Patti have been married for 40 years and are the proud parents of Brandon and Megan, both of whom live in the Los Angeles region and work in the TV/Film industry.