Vanguard’s MSN takes you beyond the classroom into two dynamic practica. The knowledge you gain in your theory courses will be applied in real-world experiences under the guidance of mentors within the profession and master teachers.
What practicum experiences are required for the program?
Students complete two practica:
- MANAGEMENT (First Year) – This practicum is intended to develop you as a nursing leader. You will work with a manager or an executive in nursing or other health care agency to complete projects identified by you and your preceptor that will meet course objectives.
- EDUCATION (Second Year) – You will partner with a master teacher or educator to plan and deliver a class to students or patients. After designing the program and implementing the coursework, you will evaluate it as well. This practicum may be completed in a nursing student classroom or in an agency with a patient or family group.
Could you provide examples of what each practicum might look like?
- With the help of your manager, assess the impact of a change in process for orienting new employees.
- In working with a local agency, analyze the health impact of a change in public policy.
- Work with faculty at a local college to teach an undergraduate nursing class and/or practicum and assess the effectiveness of a new teaching-learning strategy.
- In cooperation with a hospital educator, provide a class to elderly patients on common medication interactions that affect health.
How much time needs to be committed to each practicum experience?
Fifty-five hours are required for each practicum. These are usually spread out over fifteen weeks.
May I complete practicum at my current worksite?
Yes, practicum can be completed at your workplace. However, clinical hours must be completed outside of your current department and work hours.