The Vanguard University Concert Band features a collaboration of current students, alumni, and community members for an impressive level of talent and an enjoyable variety of repertoire. Taking advantage of the more common winds, brass and percussion sections, as well as some more unique sounding instruments and sound effects, this ensemble provides the audience with a wide range of selections, from classical, to contemporary, to move themes, and more. Because of the nature of this ensemble participation, this provides an excellent opportunity for high school students to have an early start with Vanguard, for alumni to stay involved even after graduation, and for community members to work together and contribute their musicianship and expertise.
The Vanguard University Concert Band is under the direction of Dr. Kenneth Foerch. Dr. Foerch is a free-lance performer and serves as an adjunct faculty at both Pomona College in Claremont and Mt. San Antonio College. He also was the applied music instructor of saxophone, clarinet and flute at Cerritos College, where he taught a class in music fundamentals. He has performed with the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Rochester Philharmonic orchestras and has appeared with some of today’s leading jazz artists, including Shelly Berg, Carmen Bradford, Ndugu Chancler, and Bill Watrous.
Below is the musical selection performed at the first performance of this academic year (2015-2016):
- Symphony No. 2, Finale, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840-1893), Arr. Frank Erickson
- Second Suite in F for Military Band, Op. 28, No. 2, GustavHolst (1874-1934)
- Song without Words “I’ll love my love”
- Song of the Blacksmith
- Fantasia on the “Dargason.”
- Ithaca, from The Odyssey (Symphony No. 2), Robert W. Smith (b. 1958)
- New York: 1927, Warren Barker (1923-2006)
- Sun Dance, Frank Ticheli (b. 1958)
- Symphonic Suite, from ROBIN HOOD Prince of Thieves, Michael Kamen (1948-2003), Arr. Paul Lavender
For any questions on upcoming events or to book a concert, please contact our Coordinator of Concert Operations:
- Phone: 714-619-6410
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org