- International Resources and Relations (LSU)
- Online Intelligence Project
- Political Science Resources on the Web (U. Michigan)
- Richard Kimber’s Political Science Resources
- Official CA Legislative Information
- California State Assembly
- California State Senate Page
- California State Home Page
- California Courts
- California State Department of Corrections Capital Punishment Web Page
- Ethics Matters: Capital Punishment
- Death Penalty Information Center
- CIA World Factbook
- Country Studies (Library of Congress)
An excellent source of political, economic, social, cultural, and national security information on 91 countries.
A subscription database accessible by VU faculty, staff, and students only. Up-to-date information on all countries of the world.
- Department of State Background Notes
- Commission on Presidential Debates
Online archive of the transcripts of presidential and vice presidential debates from 1960-1992. Primary focus is on the 1996 debates.
- Elections around the World
Provides current election information including the political composition of assemblies.
- Federal Election Commission
Some information about campaign financing laws.
- American National Election Studies (NES)
- Election Resources on the Internet
- Public Opinion Poll Question Database
Users can search for poll questions using keywords and narrowing by poll and date. Includes over 1000 Louis Harris polls (going back to 1958). Maintained by the Institute for Research in Social Science at UNC Chapel Hill.
- Organization of American States
Information about the OAS and its members, plus links to other useful sites.
- Latin American Network Information Center
- Internet Resources for Latin America
- Europa Home Page
- European Union Internet Resources
This site was begun in 1996 and is maintained by a EU specialist at UC Berkeley’s library. Other US sites on the EU include the European Union in the United States and WWW Virtual Library: West European Studies.
- The Commonwealth
- ISN: International Relations and Security Network
Based in Zurich, the ISN site is a comprehensive and useful one
- WWW Library: International Affairs Resources
Contains over 1100 annotated links in many areas of international affairs.
- Foreign Policy Association
- FindLaw: Internet Legal Resources
- Gun Laws, Gun Control and Gun Rights
Directory to news, legal cases, legislation, statistics, advocacy groups involved in the gun control debate, with links provided for and against.
- Israel Foreign Ministry
- Middle East Research and Information Project
Non-profit, non-governmental organization providing news and analysis about the Middle East. Complete articles since 1996 and links to other related sites. Good source of independent information.
- Sahafa Online
Directory of Arabic newspapers, magazines, radio, TV stations.
- UN Documentation: Research Guide
Information about UN documents, basic tools for UN research, links to UN bodies.
- INCORE Internet Country Guides
Provides scholarly information on ethnic conflicts in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Myanmar, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, and 9 African nations.
- Biographical Directory of the US Congress, 1774-present
Information about all individuals who have served in the US Congress and the Continental Congress. Includes images.
- Center for Responsive Politics
Purpose is to “study Congress and particularly the role that money plays in its elections and actions.”
- National Political Index
- National Security Archive
- Project Vote Smart
- Thomas: Legislative Information in the Internet
- USIA–Foreign Media Reaction
Archive of the former USIA site, defunct in 2000.
- American States
Links to official home pages of each of the 50 US states.
- Code of Federal Regulations(regulations issued by the executive branch)
- Congress.Org : Info on issues, legislation, etc.
- County and City Data Book for 1988, 1994 and 2000
- Federal Register (Proposed regulations and regulations recently adopted but not yet in the Code of Federal Regulations–1994-present)
- Federal Web Locator
Award-winning list of links to US government WWW resources.
- USA.gov : a gateway to government info.
- Government Printing Office
Selective links to local, state, federal, and world government information.
Good place to start for any federal and state statistics.
- Keeping America Informed: GPO
Provides access to documents printed by the Government Printing Office. Searchable and downloadable.
- Municipal Codes Online (List of links to city and county codes on the Web)
- State Statutes Online(a list of states that have laws on the WWW)
- Thomas: Legislative Information on the Internet
- Treaties in Force
- U.S. Code (text of current public laws enacted by Congress)
- U.S. Depository Ready Reference Sources
Good place to find frequently used government documents.
- U.S. Senate
- U.S. House of Representatives
- University of Michigan Document Center
A good place to begin to locate government documents–US and foreign.
- White House
- Vote Smart