Human Resources Assistant
Part-Time 30 hours per week
Department of Human Resources
The Human Resources Assistant is the first customer interface in the HR office and provides administrative and Human Resources support for the department. This position also serves as back-up for pre-payroll related functions and other work routinely done by the Human Resources Coordinator. The Human Resources Assistant reports to the Human Resources Supervisor with dotted line responsibility to the Senior Director of Human Resources.
- Perform customer service functions by answering employee requests and questions.
- Organize and maintain employee file and supply room, including keeping inventory and ordering supplies.
- Maintain all required labor law posters.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of files/folders/binders, such as new hire packets, I-9’s (verifying documentation and maintaining files), new and existing employee files, terminations, and filing for same.
- Conduct new hire orientations.
- Assist in the coordination and scheduling of meetings.
- Assist with or prepare correspondence, including preparation of offer letters for signature.
- Enter data into a variety of sources, including employee performance review dates.
- Sort and distribute mail.
- Maintain the HR Microsite and portal, post announcements, forms and revise content.
- Process and distribute name badge requests.
- Create payroll pay date lists and handle check distribution/mailing.
- Assist with the Workers’ Compensation claims and ergonomic administration.
- Assist with updating the Census, weekly recruiting report, and Market Assessment spreadsheets.
- Serve as back-up for the reconciling of Federal Work Study per pay period.
- Serve as a back-up for the completion of all unemployment claims, employment verifications, disability audits and forms.
- Identify risks to the organization within the department and discuss risk reduction options with immediate supervisor.
- Prepare and update a desk procedure manual for this position.
- Perform additional related duties as assigned.
- Assist with the data entry of payroll items into Paychex and Colleague.
- Serve as back-up for the processing of all pre payroll activities, including trouble shooting issues as required while ensuring timely processing of payroll. This includes post-payroll research and corrections if needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- One to two years of responsible administrative experience in a Human Resources department.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills in general and specific purpose software, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, WordPress, Publisher, Visio and Payroll/Human Resources software.
- Evidence of personal integrity, enthusiasm, and a deep respect for individuals.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills.
- Evidence of strong analytical and problem solving capabilities.
- Awareness of latest trends in human resources.
- General knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations related to human resources.
- Must be detailed oriented and highly organized.
- Absolute preservation of confidential information, conversations, records, and financial data.
- Understanding of university operations and organizational structures is essential.
- Ability to manage and direct complex, over-lapping responsibilities and to work without direct supervision.
- Knowledge and acceptance of principles and philosophies of Vanguard University.
Part-time, 30 hours position. Salary is commensurate with education and experience and includes prorated benefits.
Applicant should submit a completed VUSC Application for Staff Employment and current resume. The application form can be downloaded from the web at http://humanresources.vanguard.edu/employment-opportunities. All applications/resumes/materials must be submitted electronically via e-mail to: RESUME@vanguard.edu . We are located at: Vanguard University of Southern California, 55 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626. Applications will be received until position is filled or until a sufficient number of applications are received. Vanguard University will conduct a background check on the final candidate.
VANGUARD UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA is a private, co-educational, comprehensive University of liberal arts and professional studies that believes its evangelical Christian community in the Pentecostal tradition offers a unique opportunity for academic achievement. Vanguard University embodies a Christ-centered, multicultural community serving approximately 2,200 students. Vanguard values and encourages qualified applicants who are diverse in gender, generation, ethnicity, race and/or ability, and seeks staff that will interact with the Vanguard community in a way that reflects a commitment to cultural proficiency. Where permitted by law and in relation to the school’s heritage and mission, Vanguard does exercise religious preference throughout the University.