Cultural Anthropology Faculty Position
Anthropology and Sociology Department
The Department of Anthropology and Sociology at Vanguard University of Southern California invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in cultural anthropology at the Assistant Professor level to begin Spring 2015 or at the latest, Fall 2015 semester. Areas of specialization are open, however, a well-qualified candidate should be able to teach both introductory courses (e.g. Introduction to Cultural Anthropology) and courses in theory and research methods, as well as upper-division courses related to her/his area of scholarly and applied research expertise. Candidates with a commitment to the applications of anthropology (and of social science in general) to problem-solving in the domains of community development or other applied anthropological expertise such as non-profit development, etc.. are especially encouraged to apply. The mission of the Department is to equip students to apply the knowledge and skills of social science to serve people.
- Comfortability teaching both introductory and upper-division courses.
- Engage students in the integration of faith and learning.
- Teach four courses per semester (eight per year).
- Advise cultural anthropology majors.
- Participate in and have committee responsibilities after employment of one year.
- Candidates with a Ph.D. in Cultural Anthropology are primarily preferred. Candidates with Ph.D.’s in Applied Anthropology are also welcomed. Candidates that are recent Ph.D.’s are welcome to apply if their focus of expertise aligns with our program foci.
- Ph.D.’s in other related fields such as Mathematical Social Sciences/Social Networks or Cross Cultural work in a social science field will be considered. The program, however, is not missiologically focused.
- Candidates must have evidence of a strong commitment to undergraduate education. This includes mentoring and collaborating with students with applied and community-based research projects that benefit local, regional and international community organizations and churches.
- Possess a vibrant Christian faith, and commitment to an academically rigorous integration of faith and learning.
Full-time position. Rank and salary are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please complete and submit the faculty application [download here] with accompanying essays and curriculum vita as well as one example of professional work, three letters of reference, and copies of unofficial transcripts to email@example.com . Review of applications begins immediately; applications will be accepted until position is filled. More information about Vanguard University and the Department of Anthropology and Sociology can be found on our web site at www.vanguard.edu and at http://www.vanguard.edu/anthropology/.
Dr. Ed Clarke
Chair, Department of Anthropology and Sociology
55 Fair Drive
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Phone: (714) 556-3610
Facsimile: (714) 966-6316
VANGUARD UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA is a private, co-educational, comprehensive University of liberal arts and professional studies that believes its evangelical Christian community in the Pentecostal tradition offers a unique opportunity for academic achievement. Vanguard University embodies a Christ-centered, multicultural community serving approximately 2,200 students. Vanguard values and encourages qualified applicants who are diverse in gender, generation, ethnicity, race and/or ability, and seeks faculty that will mentor students and will interact with the Vanguard community in a way that reflects a commitment to cultural proficiency. Where permitted by law and in relation to the school’s heritage and mission, Vanguard does exercise religious preference throughout the University.