This MA option is designed for the individual who already holds a valid California teaching credential and wishes to earn a Master of Arts in Education. A total of 30 units are required for the Master of Arts in Education.
Admission Requirements for the M.A. in Education
1. A Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
2. A graduate program application with corresponding fee.
3. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate courses.
4. Three letters of recommendation, including two letters from the school site.
5. A valid California teaching credential.
6. A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B or higher), in all undergraduate course work, or a grade point average of 3.0 or above in previously completed post-baccalaureate graduate credential course work (no less than 15 units) is required for regular standing admission in the degree program, or a student with a cumulative grade point average of 2.7-2.9 may be eligible for degree admission with provisional standing. Upon successful completion of the first required six units of on-campus course work with a 3.5 GPA or higher, the student will be eligible for regular standing in the degree program. The grade point average requirement is waived for a candidate with a master’s degree from an accredited institution.
7. An interview with the Director and/or Candidate Performance Assessment Committee (CPAC).
8. Admission acceptance by the Candidate Performance Assessment Committee (CPAC).
Applicants who are offered acceptance are asked to submit the following items within fifteen days of their acceptance date:
- Acknowledgement of Acceptance (form provided in acceptance packet) indicating your intent to enroll for graduate studies at Vanguard;
- $100 Enrollment Deposit (nonrefundable) which will be applied to your first semester’s tuition.
Program Requirements for the M.A. in Education, Teacher Leadership
|MA Electives||6 units|
|Up to six units of graduate education study transferred from another institution or six units of graduate electives to be completed.|
|MA Area of Emphasis: Teacher Leadership||12 units|
|EDUG 611||Advanced Models of Teaching||3 units|
|EDUG 612||Theories of Learning and Teaching||3 units|
|EDUG 613||Spiritual Formation for Teachers||3 units|
|EDUG 614||Curriculum Leadership and Collaboration||3 units|
|MA Core Requirements||12 units|
|Prerequisite:||Consent of Director|
|EDUG 605||Current Issues in Education||2 units|
|EDUG 606||Introduction to Educational Research||4 units|
|EDUG 609||Curriculum Design and Teaching||2 units|
|EDUG 610||Assessment and Evaluation||4 units|
EDUG 605 should be taken as the first course of the M.A. Core. EDUG 605 may be taken concurrently with EDUG 606. EDUG 610 must be taken as the final course of the M.A. Core. EDUG 609 may be taken concurrently with EDUG 610.
* This information is provided for ease of use, however it is not the official record. See the academic catalog for official course descriptions and requirements.