Rights & Responsibilities
Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)
Vanguard University abides by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (2 U.S.C. 1232g) which designates certain actions and policies designed to protect the privacy of students and their parents. The Act specifically governs access to student records maintained by the University and the release of such information. The Act requires that student written consent is given before the release of certain personally-identifiable data about the student. For more information, please see the Vanguard University Catalog.
Student Rights & Responsibilities
- I have the right to know what student financial aid programs are available at Vanguard University.
- I have the right to know the deadlines (if any) for submitting applications for each financial aid program.
- I have the right to know how my financial need was determined, including how various expenses in my budget are considered.
- I have the right to know what resources are considered in the calculation of my awards.
- I have the right to request an explanation of the various programs in my financial aid package.
- I have the right to consult with persons in the Financial Aid Office concerning my application for assistance, budgeting and/or financial problems which might arise.
- I have the right to cancel any loan proceeds received via Loan Change Form up to fourteen days after the credit has been applied.
- I will check my Vanguard email on a regular basis.
- I must complete all application forms accurately and submit them on time to the appropriate office.
- I must provide correct information. In most instances, misreporting information on financial aid forms is a violation of federal law and may be a criminal offense, which could result in indictment under the U.S. Criminal Code.
- I must provide any additional documentation, verification information, or corrections requested by the Financial Aid Office or the agency to which I submitted my application before any funds will be disbursed.
- I am responsible for reading, understanding, and retaining copies of all forms I am asked to sign.
- I must accept responsibility for all agreements I sign.
- I am responsible for knowing the sources of financial aid, which I receive and whether the aid is a loan, grant, or scholarship. If the aid is a loan, I must know to whom repayment is to be made and the terms of repayment. NSLDS
- I must keep the Financial Aid Office informed of my correct address at all times – while I am in school and after graduation – while any loans are outstanding.
- It is my responsibility to complete Exit Counseling online, within a month of my separation from Vanguard University (graduation or withdrawal).