New Undergraduate Student Financial Aid Process
Below are the steps needed in order to qualify for financial aid assistance:
- Apply to Vanguard! Submit your application for admission to Vanguard and be accepted on or before March 2nd. Students accepted after this date are still eligible for financial aid, but at reduced amounts, especially for institutional aid.
- File your FAFSA by March 2! Your FAFSA must be submitted by March 2nd for you to be considered for state and federal grants, federal loans, and institutional scholarships. Students who submit their FAFSA after this date are still eligible for aid, but may not be considered for all institutional aid. Submit your FAFSA online at FAFSA.ed.gov.
- To complete the FAFSA you will need your tax information for the prior year, including your W2 and tax return, and your parent(s) tax information if you are a dependent student. For the 2014/2015 FAFSA you will need your 2013 tax information. If you have not yet filed taxes you may use estimated amounts and correct any changes after you file taxes for the year. Remember if there is a large difference between what you report on your FAFSA and your final tax information, the Financial Aid Office may have to make changes to your financial aid package.
- Verification: If selected for verification, provide the Financial Aid Office with all documents requested by May 1. Failure to do this will result in a delay in awarding your financial aid, which may impact your ability to complete Financial Registration or register for classes.
- Accept or decline your aid: After you have been awarded your financial aid for the year, log in to your myVU and accept or decline any offered aid.
- Only accepted aid will reflect on MyBill and any Registration Statements sent out by the Office of Accounting Operations.
- Declining unwanted aid removes you from mailing lists for required documents.
- Direct Loan Master Promissory Note & Loan Entrance Counseling: These items must be completed on studentloans.gov. FAO cannot process your Direct Loans without these items. If you do not intend to borrow Direct Loans, make sure you decline your loans in your MyVU Portal. Additional guidance on completing these items is available here.
- Perkins: If you have been awarded a Perkins Loan and wish to receive it, complete the Perkins MPN & Entrance Counseling on ECSI.net. Perkins funds cannot be processed until after these items are completed. After you accept your Perkins Loan on your Portal, ECSI will contact you with login information. If you do not receive login information or have issues with their account, please contact ECSI’s customer support.
- Authorization of Allowable Charges: The Authorization of Allowable Charges form is available on the Forms page. Please check either Hold or Refund, sign, and submit the form to FAO. Aid cannot be posted to your student account until this form is received.
- Office of Accounting Operations: After you submit your enrollment deposit and sign up for classes, you must complete Financial Registration. It is highly recommended that you also sign up for eRefund. Visit OAO’s Student Account Center online for additional information regarding your student account.