Bienvenidos: The Spanish Minor


¡Viva el Español!

Spanish Minor Requirements

Twenty-one units in Spanish will comprise the minor. Courses should be chosen in consultation with an advisor in the Spanish Department.

Declare a Spanish Minor

If you do not have Spanish AP units or VU-approved Spanish Language transfer units, you are required to take the Spanish Placement Exam for Spanish-language study.  Please make an appointment with the English-Spanish Administrative Assistant in Heath 233.

Why should I minor in Spanish?

  • Liberal Studies – teaching writing in bilingual communities
  • English — teaching writing in bilingual communities, comparative literary studies
  • Religion – pastoral leadership studies Business / international economies & marketing
  • Anthropology & Sociology – field work
  • History & Political Science – primary source research
  • Biology, Chemistry – community health issues
  • Kinesiology – community health issues/physical therapy/occupational therapy
  • Psychology – communicating with clients, community health issues
  • Communications – Spanish-related media industries
  • Music – language abilities for studying scores / vocal performance
  • Theatre Arts – worship arts major

Casa de Español

  • *Please note: Casa de Español is temporarily on hold until further notice.*

First Floor Balboa Hall is a Spanish-Speaking floor!  You will receive SPAN 460 course credit for living on the floor and must attend a weekly mealtime in your quad where your host professor will provide curriculum and mentorship. This is a great experience for people wanting to develop Spanish-English bilingual language skills through immersion, enjoy affinity among peers who love Latino/a cultures, and engage in local and global outreach.  To be placed on this floor, submit an application to the Residence Life Office *before* the deadline each spring semester at 5:00pm. Students selected for the floor must sign up for a room during housing registration and enroll for SPAN 460—Field Practicum (2 units—additional unit requirement can be arranged) for both semesters next year. Applications are available in the Residence Life Office. The course is approved to count towards Spanish minor units.

Affinity Groups & Resources