Congratulations on your graduation from Vanguard University! To mark this major milestone, we encourage you to send a personalized news release to your local newspaper. Using the sample release below, create a customized news release about yourself or your student, including major(s), academic honors, volunteer or internship experiences, study abroad trips, and/or plans for the future.
- Copy the sample news release text below into a new document OR download the official template here.
- Replace bracketed information with your personal details. Newsrooms are often inundated with emails, so we recommend keeping your release short.
- Graduation announcements are usually directed to a general newsroom email address and not to specific reporters. To avoid having your email deleted or caught in a spam folder, we highly recommend that you find a general email address on the newspaper’s website or in the print edition. Many print newspaper announcement areas contain contact information near the announcements.
- Copy the release directly into an e-mail message addressed to your local newspaper(s). Use the subject line “Local Resident Graduates from Vanguard University.”
- (OPTIONAL) You may also wish to include a photo. Please note: Because newsrooms are inundated with a lot of email, an attachment may slow the receipt of your message or your message may be blocked by a spam filter. Instead, we suggest you include the following note at the end of your email: “Photo available upon request.”
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 6, 2016
[City Name] Resident Graduates from Vanguard University
Costa Mesa, CA—[Full name] of [City, State] graduated with a [Degree type] degree in [Major(s)] at Vanguard University’s commencement ceremony, held on May 8, 2015.
While at Vanguard University, [last name’s] activities included [clubs, sports, volunteer work, jobs, honor societies, etc.] In addition, [s/he completed a senior thesis, titled…, or s/he studied abroad at XYZ institution in X country].
[Last name] plans to [work at ABC Company in City, State, or attend XYZ graduate school, or travel, volunteer, etc.] after graduation.
OPTIONAL: A [year] graduate of [Name of High School] in [City, State], [last name] is the [son/daughter] of [parents’ names and hometowns].
Vanguard University is a private, Christian university of liberal arts and professional studies equipping students for a Spirit-empowered life of Christ-centered leadership and service. Ranked one of the top Christian universities by The U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review also named Vanguard University a 2014 “Best in the West” College. Additionally, Vanguard is named in the 2013-2014 Christian Colleges of Distinction and made the Forbes list of best universities. Vanguard University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). For more information, visit www.vanguard.edu.