The faculty of Business and Management Department proudly announces the establishment of a Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta, International Honor Society for Business Administration and Management students at Vanguard University of Southern California.
The purposes of Sigma Beta Delta are to promote higher scholarship in education for business and to recognize and reward scholastic achievement in business subjects. Membership should be the goal of every business student.
Acceptance into Sigma Beta Delta is by invitation only. It is open to the traditional undergraduate students and students in the School of Professional Studies. At the start of Spring Term in each academic year, seniors approved for graduation are automatically considered for membership eligibility.
To be considered for invitation to the Society, the highest national recognition your faculty can offer, students must be, an undergraduate student enrolled at VUSC, approved for participation in the May commencement VUSC exercises following his/her honor society invitation by the University Registrar, receiving a degree offered by the VUSC Department of Business and Management, have a minimum cumulative 3.25 GPA, have a minimum major 3.5 GPA, and be in the top 20%, measured by GPA, of the Department of Business and Management graduating senior class. This is the opportunity to become one of the select few who earn lifetime recognition within Sigma Beta Delta.
What does Membership mean to Students
- Lifetime Recognition for Outstanding Academic Achievements: Sigma Beta Delta membership provides recognition for a lifetime. Because the Society is recognized for honoring scholastic excellence in business, it is appropriate to include Sigma Beta Delta membership on one’s resume. Employers throughout the country will recognize your academic achievements.
- Fellowship Program: Sigma Beta Delta members are eligible to compete for the Society’s fellowship awards. The Society awards $500 fellowships annually to assist five outstanding student members in continuing their education.
- Networking Opportunities: As members graduate and assume important positions in the business community, they provide excellent sources of help and guidance for future employment. The chance for Sigma Beta Delta student and alumni members to network with business professionals places them a step ahead of the employment competition.
- Lifetime Contact Through Aspirations Newsletter: The Society publishes Aspirations at least annually for distribution to the membership. The newsletter keeps the membership informed of Sigma Beta Delta’s activities and current business issues.
A student must be:
- a traditional undergraduate student enrolled at VUSC
- approved for participation in the May commencement VUSC exercises, following his/her honor society invitation, by the University of the Registrar
- receiving a degree offered by the VUSC Department of Business and Management
- have a minimum cumulative 3.25 GPA
- have a minimum major 3.5 GPA
- in the top 20%, measured by GPA, of the Department of Business and Management traditional student graduating senior class
Meaning of Sigma Beta Delta
Beta is the initial letter of the Greek word , which signifies honor. Honor is a personal quality of the highest value. Honorable persons are held in esteem, considered to be trustworthy, and admired by others because they live a life that is worthy of such recognition. Honorable persons have chosen to live a life that is bound by integrity and ethical decision-making. They respect others and are willing to provide leadership to the benefit of humankind.
Delta is the initial letter of the Greek word , which signifies the pursuit of meaningful aspirations. Persons of wisdom and honor must aspire to a course to achieve their objectives, for goals without action are no more fulfilling than action without goals. To aspire toward the fulfillment of one’s goals to serve humankind and develop personally and professionally will lead to a life of meaning and satisfaction.
Sigma Beta Delta was established to honor students who have attained superior records in business programs in schools and colleges with regional accreditation.