Department of Biology
Vanguard University of Southern California
55 Fair Drive
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Phone: (714) 556-3610 x2613
Fax: (714) 966-6316
Dr. Dovel is trained as a plant physiologist. He teaches botany, genetics, microbiology and field biology. He has been an active researcher in field biology, nitrogen fixation, and plant/pathogen relationships for the last 18+ years.
His current research interests include plant breeding, plant molecular biology, and microbial water quality analysis. Dr. Dovel is a member of the Gamma Sigma Delta honor society and a recipient of the E.R. Jackman Team Award recognizing team and interdisciplinary research.
Dr. Dovel is the primary advisor for Biol 488: Senior Projects.
|Ph.D.||1993||Texas A & M University|
|MA||1990||University of California,|
|BS||1989||University of California|
|summa cum laude|
|2000-ongoing||Professor of Biology, Vanguard University|
|2002-2007||Associate Professor of Sociology, Vanguard University|
|2005-ongoing||Project review for Office of Research, California Department of Biology|
|2002||Manuscript reviewer for State University of New York Press|
|1997-2002||Assistant Professor of Biology, Vanguard University|
|1996-1997||Lecturer, UC Riverside|
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION:
|Plant Physiologist||Field Biology|
BOOKS & BOOK CHAPTERS:
- “From Plants to People” in Plant Biology, Jane Smith (ed.). (In progress) Transation Publishing.
- “Microbology and the World” Science Journal, John Smith (ed.). Carolina Academic Press. 2003.
- With Jon Doe. “Genetics, Plants, People” Genetics Journal, Jon Doe, (eds.). McGraw-Hill. 1998.
- “Re-presenting Biology.” Footnotes-Newsletter of the American Biology Association 34 (1). January 2006.
- “Nitrogen Fixation in Early Stages.” The Botany Journal 18 (1). 2001.
- “Plant Physiology and Time.” Journal of Bontany and Genetics 5 (1 & 2). 2001.
CONFERENCE & PUBLIC PRESENTATIONS:
- “Reaching the World with Botany.” University of Colorado Biology Studies Seminar. May 22, 2007.
- “Bringing Nitrogen Fixation Into the Classroom.” University of Washington. May 19, 2007.
- “The Plant is the Thing.” Biologist Association. Vanguard University. May 11-13, 2007.
CURRENT MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS:
- Biologist Honor Society
- Microbiology Leadership Honor Society
- Pacific Plant Physiologist Association
- National Honor Society, Honorary Member, 2001
- Academic Research Grant, Vanguard University, June 2000