Professor of Sociology
Vanguard University of Southern California
55 Fair Drive
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Phone: (714) 619-6431
|Ph.D.||1996||University of Southern California, Los Angeles|
|M.M.F.T.||1993||University of Southern California, Los Angeles|
|MA||1993||University of Southern California, Los Angeles|
|BA||1988||Southern California College|
|Summa Cum Laude|
|2006-Present||Associate Professor of Sociology, Vanguard University|
|2000-2006||Assistant Professor of Sociology, Vanguard University|
|April 1993-April 2004||Full-time Lecturer: Department of Sociology, California State University, Los Angeles|
|Spring 2000||Lecturer, Vanguard University|
|September 1988-June 1991||Teaching Assistant: Department of Sociology, University of Southern California|
|Fall 1990||Lecturer: Department of Sociology, Southern California College|
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION:
|Marriage and the Family||Marriage and Family Therapy|
BOOKS & BOOK CHAPTERS
- “Deviant Behavior: A text-reader in the Sociology of Deviance.” Worth Publishers. 2008.
- “Deviant Behavior: A text-reader in the Sociology of Deviance.” Co-authored with D. Kelly. Worth Publishers. 2002.
- Clarke, E., Preston, M., Raksin, J. and Bengston, V., “Types of Conflicts and Tensions Between Older Parents and Adult Children.” The Gerontologist. 1999.
- Clarke, E., “Effects of conflict on adult children’s relationship to parents: A multi-dimensional approach to parent-child conflict.” Dissertation presented to the Faculty of the Graduate School of University of Southern California. 1996.
- Clarke, E. et al, “Intergenerational relationships and aging.” Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Aging. 1997.
CONFERENCE & PUBLIC PRESENTATIONS:
- “Christian attitudes toward homosexuality: The declining significance of denomination.” 74th annual Pacific Sociological Meetings, Pasadena, CA. April 3-6, 2003.
- “Integrating faith and learning: A Pentecostal perspective.” Commission on Higher Education Conference, Springfield, MO. 2002
- “Conflict issues in older parent-adult child relationships: Predicting intergenerational solidarity.” 49th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America. Vanguard University. November 1996.
- “Predicting change in affectual solidarity from children’s reports of conflict with parents.” 48th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America. November 1996.
- “Parent-Child Conflict Over the Life-Course.” 47th Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America. November 1994.
- “Conflict and Tensions in Older Parent-Adult Child Relationships.” 46th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America. November 1993.
- “Identity Theory: A different look at abusers.” Sociological Practice Association, International meeting. June 1991.
- “Marital Rape: Implications of a cultural dysfunction.” Southern California Colloquium. 1988.
CURRENT MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS:
- American Sociological Association
- National Council of Family Relations
- Sociological Practice Association
- Alpha Kappa Delta – International Sociology Honor Society
University of Southern California:
- University Award for Outstanding Departmental Teaching Assistant
- California State Graduate Fellowship (4 years)
- Fry Scholarship Award
- Fry Fund Dissertation Award
- Vice President Alpha Kappa Delta, Alpha Chapter (Sociology Honor Society)
Southern California College
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude
- Baccalaureate Speaker
- Division of Social Sciences Honor Award (Highest GPA)
- Elected President, Sociology Club of Southern California College, 1987-1988
California State University, Los Angeles
- Honorary Member of Golden Key Honor Society (membership of faculty requires student recommendations)