About VU Library
The O. Cope Budge Library acquires, manages, and promotes the use of information resources in a user-centered environment. The library links students, faculty, and staff to an increasingly global body of knowledge. The library faculty teach critical thinking skills in the research process, and promote the ethical use and evaluation of information resources. The library faculty and staff promote personal enrichment, foster multicultural appreciation, and encourage lifelong learning. Through its personnel, resources, and services, the library supports the student learning outcomes, goals, and curriculum of Vanguard University.
Although the school opened in 1920, the Vanguard University library did not have a professional librarian until Keith Lee was hired in 1960. Prior to Lee’s appointment, Willyla Bushnell served as the librarian. Three years later in 1963, the library moved from a military barracks to its current location. During Dr. O Cope Budge’s tenure from 1959-1976, the school experienced growth with the addition of four new buildings—science, gymnasium, men’s residence tower and the library. This expansion program was part of the “Decade of Progress”. The library was eventually named O. Cope Budge Library in honor of everything Dr. Budge had done for Vanguard. In 1985 the library was expanded and doubled in size. In 2012, the library experienced a partial remodel adding three additional study rooms and a periodical room.
The Vanguard archives is a collection of yearbooks, catalogs, photos, promotional materials, student handbooks, and memorabilia pertaining to our history. The archives include a collection of notebooks of various minutes, memos, publications, newspaper articles, etc., from all departments within the SCBS/SCBC/SCC/VU community.
Elizabeth Dermody Leonard Women’s Studies Collection
Housed on the first floor of the library. This collection is named in memory of Dr. Elizabeth Dermody Leonard, sociology professor, faculty emerita, and former co-director of the Center for Women’s Studies at Vanguard. Dr. Leonard was instrumental in the development of this collection and took an active role in recommending and donating books to it. The collection currently supports the Women’s Studies minor and the work that is being done by the Global Center for Women and Justice.
Each year we purchase a few children’s books, mostly those which are Newbery or Caldecott Award winners, to add to our collection of about 1200 books. These are located on the first floor. The Children’s Literature collection is designated with the call numbers curric fic. For example, curric fic B756 1990 is the call number for a 1990 edition of Caddie Woodlawn by Brink.
The library has about 1800 DVD titles. Many of these are classics chosen from the AFI lists of the 100 best dramas and comedies. Others are current and popular movies. These can be checked out for three days with no renewals, though faculty and staff can have them out a little longer.
Currently, we have about 500 fiche in this ERIC collection. These have been ordered by previous graduate education students.
Margarita Lima Spanish Collection
Named in honor of professor Margarita Lima who taught Spanish at Vanguard from 1994-2007.
Morris Pike Drama Collection
Morris Pike, faculty emeritus in drama, donated his collection of about 250 modern plays to the Vanguard library when he retired in May 1998. This collection is housed on the first floor.
New Books & New Book Lists
The new items we purchase are listed on the library homepage under New Books and DVDs. These items are located near the circulation desk.
The Pentecostal Collection reflects both Vanguard’s heritage and current research in Pentecostalism. Currently, this collection is housed on the first floor in two glass cabinets. Items for inclusion are chosen by either the director of the Lewis Wilson Institute of Pentecostal Studies, religion faculty, or Pam Crenshaw. The collection will eventually include materials from the Southern California District Council of the Assemblies of God and the General Council of the Assemblies of God.
Items are usually checked out for in-library use only. Guests must leave their driver’s license or keys at the circulation desk. Faculty who are researching heavily in the movement may check out items for a longer period of time with a librarian’s permission.
The library has a small collection of rare books. Most of these are older than 1890, or have special significance such as an author’s inscription. The collection is housed in a locked glass case on the second floor.
The biblical studies reference room is located to the left of the main entrance and contains Bibles, concordances, commentaries, Bible-related dictionaries, and encyclopedias. The rest of the reference collection is on the main floor near the scanner. This collection holds reference works in the areas of history, education, business, art, music, theater, language, literature, and science. Reference material cannot be checked out.
The library has approximately 3500 microfiche produced by the Theological Research Exchange Network, which has a searchable on-line database of titles. Many theological institutions participate in this network by submitting theses and dissertations written by their students. In addition, papers presented to the Evangelical Theological Society are included. These fiche provide examples of research and bibliographies on many theological topics and represent varying points of view. They are cataloged in VANCAT for library use only.
Questions about library collections? Email email@example.com