“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” -Acts 1:8
As followers of Christ, we are called to preach the good news of the Kingdom of God which does not begin with the ends of the earth but, rather, is rooted in Jerusalem. Through Local Outreach, we strive to grow into a lifestyle of intentional perpetual service at home, in our own Jerusalem. For Vanguard, we desire to be good neighbors in Costa Mesa and the surrounding areas in Orange County loving and investing in our community.
Key Areas of Involvement:
- Education: We value education and all that it can unlock for ourselves and our world. Within this effort, we engage with local elementary, junior and high schools in tutoring, mentoring, translating for parent-teacher conferences, encouragement to teachers, school beautification projects and much more.
- Food Bank: There are over 400,000 people in Orange County that don’t know where their next meal will come from. Working with the Second Harvest Food Bank, opportunities include packaging and distribution, harvesting from the Edible Garden, and helping children serve at Izzy’s Corner.
- Homelessness: Working with local churches and our city to meet the needs of our neighbors currently experiencing homelessness is a vital effort. Opportunities include running the check-in center (storage facility), Saturday mornings (food, showers and laundry provided), and administrative help for this initiative.
- Senior Citizen Ministry: Very close to Vanguard we have many wise neighbors that would love a visit. Loving to play Bingo, the Wii, card games or simply talking are easy ways for you to connect. Vanguard also throws a “Senior Prom” in the Spring semester that we need help with. Opportunities are very flexible and available any day of the week.
- Foster & Adoption Care Support: There are many local families that have chosen to open their homes and foster or adopt a child. Working alongside organizations that provide continual support and training for these families, we have a great opportunity to bless these families through free babysitting, doing yard or house work, and many more simple acts.