Audition Guidelines & Process
All incoming VUSC students who are interested in the music program and/or participating in a music ensemble are required to perform an audition in their primary performing medium. Students are encouraged to audition in person.
Audition appointments are scheduled on a first come first serve basis and are approximately 20 minutes in length. Students who are unable to audition in person may send a video recording via YouTube.
It is the responsibility of the student to be in contact with the music department regarding audition dates and deadlines.
The audition process is as follows:
- Begin the Admissions application process with the Admissions Office-you cannot audition until you have applied, and cannot receive a scholarship award until you have been accepted.
- Submit the Audition Request Form. Once this form is submitted, the Music Department will contact you to schedule an audition time.
- Audition in person or send a video recording via YouTube. Links to the YouTube video recording may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please carefully read the below guidelines.
The ensemble directors will assign the student to one or more appropriate ensemble(s). All ensemble participants should expect to attend Music Camp the week before school starts.
PRIORITY DEADLINE FOR MUSIC AUDITIONS: MARCH 1ST
To audition, all students should prepare pieces that reflect their level of musical achievement. Students should bring a list of repertoire studied or performed both in school and/or church.
Below are the listed audition requirements in the various performing mediums:
A minimum of three pieces should be prepared from the following:
- An invention, prelude, or fugue by J.S. Bach
- A movement of a Classical Sonata by Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven
- A work from the romantic period or the 20th century
The student may be asked to sight-read or play major minor scales in four octaves.
- Brass, Strings, Woodwinds
- Electric Guitar
- Classical Guitar
- Piano (Jazz)
- Bass (Electric)