Vanguard to Host a Free Tax Filing Event for Faculty, Staff and Students on March 2, March 9 and April 6
Filing taxes can be a daunting experience, but it doesn’t have to be this year. Vanguard University staff and students have the opportunity to receive a special free tax service.
At Vanguard, a top christian university, Enactus will host the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, which provides free tax return services for individuals and families who make under $50,270 a year. Enactus, a student-led, environmental advocacy organization, is focused on using its positions to “transform lives and shape a better more sustainable world,” its website said. The VITA program is an arm of the IRS, which partners with the OC United Way.
Individuals who qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) could claim up to $5,891.
The requirements for qualifying are as follows:
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident
- Have a valid social security number
- Have earned income during 2012
- Have earned less than $50,270 (total household) in 2012
- Cannot use “Married Filing Separately” Status
- Cannot be claimed as a qualifying child
- Cannot file Form 2555 or 2555-EZ (relating to foreign earned income)
When going to the appointment, individuals should bring:
- Picture Identification
- Copy of 2011 income tax return
- Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer identification number (ITIN) for each family member
- W-2s, 1099s and all other tax-related documents for 2012
- All 1098 E&T forms for educational expenses
- Childcare provider name, address & Tax ID Number
Members of the Vanguard community will have three opportunities to take advantage of this free tax service: March 2, March 9 and April 6. Each event’s services are provided by appointment only.
To schedule an appointment and receive answers for any questions, please call: 888-434-8248.