Dear Vanguard Community
We have recently completed a comprehensive review of the Delivery Boys and Entourage program at Vanguard University. The review team of 9 members consisted of 3 faculty, 3 student life leaders, a youth pastor, and a current and former student. Of these, 4 were former Delivery Boys & Entourage members.
The review included two phases – a research phase and then consideration of findings with recommendations for how to revitalize the teams. The research component included interviews with previous team directors, a number of District Youth Directors and youth pastors, and several camp directors. The review team conducted a series of focus groups with 28 former team members and with a number of current students. The research phase also included a review of 24 student talent team programs at other colleges and universities. The review team’s findings and recommendations have informed how the teams can be revitalized with greater emphasis on ministry and connection to training and leadership development within Student Life.
The review team has presented its report and recommendations to the President’s Cabinet. I am pleased to now share some of the key outcomes:
- Delivery Boys and Entourage teams will have a future as part of Outreach Ministries in Student Life.
- The teams will be part of the Student Leadership Development program and participate in all student leadership events, including the Student Leadership Retreat.
- This summer an advisory group will be formed to assist with recruitment, selection, training, and care for the teams.
- Recruitment and selection of new teams will begin during the fall semester once we have finalized staffing and training to support the teams.
- The teams will be available for camp ministry summer 2013.
We are committed to our mission of equipping students for Spirit-empowered lives of Christ-centered leadership and service and believe that the reorganization of support and training for the teams will better enable us to equip our students for effective ministry.
I want to express my gratitude to the review team for their many hours of careful research and prayerful reflection and recommendations on how best to support effective student ministry teams.
Dr. Carol Taylor