Vanguard University is a private, Christian university of liberal arts and professional studies equipping students for a Spirit-empowered life of Christ-centered leadership and service. Ranked one of the top 10 colleges in the west by The U.S. News & World Report since 2010, The Princeton Review also named Vanguard University a 2014 “Best in the West” College. Additionally, Vanguard is named in the 2012-13 Christian Colleges of Distinction and made the Forbes list of best universities. Vanguard University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Vanguard promises to give you the tools you need to live the story God has for you…a story that matters.
WATCH NOW >>
At Vanguard, your story will take you:
>> Beyond the classroom
We believe learning happens best in the context of relationship. Our faculty spend countless hours—both inside and outside the classroom—to serve as professor-mentors, not just teachers. Through close, coaching relationships, you’ll go beyond the classroom, getting not only the knowledge you need but also the wisdom to apply what you’re
learning in practical ways.
>> Beyond community
What is it that turns a group of people from different backgrounds that come from different places into a real community? At Vanguard, we call it our relational culture. Built into the fabric of our interactions is a culture that causes us to go beyond the normal definition of community, reaching out and connecting with each other. We are driven to serve one another, our city, and our world in practical ways through missions projects both here in Orange County and around the world.
>> Beyond integration
Many people talk about the integration of faith and life. At Vanguard, we believe they were never separate to begin with. Our understanding of the world—in science, business, education, the arts, and beyond—informs and deepens our faith, bringing color and life in surprising ways. As we go beyond integration, we discover a reality based instead on incarnation, where faith comes to life in every molecule, every equation, every performance…in every moment.
>> Beyond academics
No matter your major or area of study, at Vanguard you’ll get the understanding you need in an environment designed to help you excel. Our commitment to go beyond academics leads to academic transformation, where you’ll cultivate new abilities to think critically, communicate clearly, and interact intelligently—taking you places you never thought possible.
>> Beyond the expected
There’s more to life than what we see. At Vanguard, you’ll join a Christ-centered community pursuing a Spirit-empowered life. God is not distant or disconnected, His Spirit is in us, guiding, comforting, and equipping us for the next chapter of our story. A life in God’s Spirit will always move us beyond the expected and open our eyes to His surprising influence in our world…right here, right now.
All of these areas work together, producing alumni that are beyond ready to live a story that matters.
- A 4-year Bachelor of Arts or Science degree in 30 majors and concentrations
- Single & Multiple Subject Teaching Credentials, a Master of Arts in Education, a Master of Arts in Leadership Studies, a Master of Theological Studies, and a Master of Science in Clinical Psychology, and a Master of Science in Nursing.
- A School for Professional Studies (adult professionals) awarding a Bachelor of Arts in business, psychology and religion and a Bachelor of Science in nursing.
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 15:1
- Faculty: 62 full-time and 113 part-time; 75% of full-time teaching faculty hold doctoral degrees; no courses taught by teaching assistants.
Founded in Los Angeles in 1920 as a Bible training institute, VU is non-profit university, owned by the Southern California District of the Assemblies of God. Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WASC). Teacher preparation and licensing for three different credentials approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. RN-to-BSN degree program accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Member of the Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities, and the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities and Associate Member of Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities.
Vanguard’s student body comes from more than 25 denominational backgrounds, every region of the United States, and more than a dozen foreign nations. For detailed statistics visit CollegeBoard.com.
- Total University Enrollment: over 1,961.
- The College: approximately 1,317 students; 1:1.85 male to female ratio; 22% Hispanic; 4% Asian; 6% African American; 2% Native American; 1% international; 5% unknown.
- Graduate Programs: approximately 250 students; 60% female, 40% male; 40% in Graduate Education Program; 28% in Graduate Religion Program; 32% in Graduate Clinical Psychology Program.
- The School for Professional Studies: SPS has approximately 366 students; 66% female, 34% male; 33% multi-ethnic student population; 45% Generation X; 78% living in Orange County.
- Financial Assistance: 88% of Vanguard students receive financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants, loans and college work-study. Nearly $19 million in combined aid is awarded annually.